Lady Lynx Softball

Lady Lynx Softball
Kanab, Utah

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Valentine Tradition

As long as I've been cooking, I've made sugar cookies for Valentine's Day.  During high school, my friends and I would bake and decorate them together for our friends and/or boyfriends.  As soon as my girls were old enough to stand on a stool and help me, they would roll out the dough, cut hearts with the cookie cutters, and sprinkle the decorations after I'd frost them.  Then we'd  deliver them to teachers, neighbors, home teaching and visiting teaching families, or to a secret someone.  They really got a kick out of this tradition, and it was fun watching their excitement as they stood on doorsteps waiting with anticipation.  So here I am keeping up with tradition once again, only the novelty has worn off for the girls, I'm baking alone this year.  When I taught school in Hildale, UT, the librarian gave me her recipe which has proved to be THE VERY BEST one I've ever tried, so I am typing it below if you'd like to give it a try.  Mmmm. . . they are delicious, soft, puffy and moist without frosting or with!  Enjoy!  Treat your loved ones to some homemade love!
  Cynthia's Sugar Cookies
3 c flour           1 c sugar
1/2 c butter      1/2 c sour creme
1 tsp bkg soda
1 egg
1 tsp vanila
1/4 tsp salt
Mix all ingredients together.  Wrap in cellophane wrap and chill for 30 min before rolling out.
Don't roll any thinner than 1/4".  I like them a bit thicker myself, but they'll stay soft and moist!
Bake at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes.

2 comments:

Whitney Schimbeck said...

I expect cookies when you come this weekend! I still like to make them with you!!!! My favorite Valentines tradish for sure. Without it, v-day was just another monday.

Anonymous said...

I too remember those days, I liked the red candy in the middle. Yes, Valentine's day will always bring special memories for your Dad & I, it was a good day to be married on--he couldnt very well forget it Mom