Lady Lynx Softball

Lady Lynx Softball
Kanab, Utah

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tender Mercies

They are everywhere if you make yourself aware of them.  I had one such tender mercy yesterday.  I was at the Bloomington Wal-Mart looking for a skirt to go to the temple since I'd forgotten mine.  I just needed something quick to go when I got a phone call from my mom.  She told me the new St. George airport will be opening on January 12--the seven year mark of dad's fatal airplane incident.  It was also seven years ago that Sue and I were in the Cedar Wal-Mart when we received the call that Dad's plane was down.  As I heard mom telling me of the grand opening news, I couldn't help but cry tears of joy and gratitude for that tender mercy.  He loved flying the Brasilia aircraft and he loved Lake Powell.  Two of his favorites pictures below!
As I continued to shop I could hear the airplanes flying overhead (that store is in the direct flight pattern) for landings and take offs.  I immediately sent out a text to my family to tell them the news.  My brother texts back:  They should name it after him.  I agreed.  (If only we were filthy rich and could donate lots of money.)  After going to lunch with brother-in-law Shawn, we decided that Dad would be pleased enough if a newspaper stand were made in honor of him with papers from all over the country and, of course, atleast one Nifty Nickel.  He was an avid reader of newspapers no matter where he was traveling, and he firmly believed one should ALWAYS check in the Nifty Nickel when looking to purchase anything!  We joked as a family while making funeral arrangements that we should check the Nifty Nickel for a coffin, because that would please Dad.  Oh how I loved that man!  I am so grateful to have been born of goodly parents who gave me the life lessons and experiences to help shape who I am today.  Thank you, Mom & Dad!  I LOVE YOU!

P.S.  Wal-Mart no longer carries skirts or dresses, in case you're wondering about that! 

2 comments:

Therol's Life!!!!!!!!!!! said...

JoLin, I had no ideas thats how your dad passed away. Wow I agree they should name something after him. Your a remarkeable lady and love ya so much. I miss seeing you tons and hope your doing fabulous. Because well, you are FABULOUS!! LOVE YA TONS! Glad to see you finally got my invite to my blog!! your amazing!!

Shoecrazy Sue said...

I think your idea is FABULOUS! I like to think that dad had a hand in deciding when the much anticipated St. George Airport would officially open!Tender Mercy indeed!