Lady Lynx Softball

Lady Lynx Softball
Kanab, Utah

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thank You Veterans

I've been telling my students about Veterans this week in preparation for an essay contest and an assembly.  I remember in my youth seeing Veterans Day Assemblies each year, but not really understanding and certainly not appreciating what they represent.  Evan and I were privileged to chaperone 6th graders twice in the last few years to Arlington Cemetery for decorating headstones of Veterans.  We went in December 2007 with Taylor's class and again in 2009 with Abby's.  I would love to go again to spend more time seeing historic sites.  It was a humbling, sacred, and honorable experience for me.
Taylor looking at thousands of names on Vietnam Wall.

Washington Monument in background.

Taylor in the Korean War Memorial gardens.
Arlington Cemetery-Wreaths Across America

Abby at the Vietnam Wall. (above)
Placing another wreath at Arlington. (below)
My paternal grandfather served in the Army as well as my father and several uncles.  My brother and nephew served in the Marines.  They were some of the fortunate ones who were able to come home to tell of their experiences.  I wish I had pics to post of all of them, but at the time, I only have one representing the Rosie Riveters of the day.
 When I truly think about the sacrifices made by our forefathers and their families for our country's causes, I feel deep gratitude and love for them whether I knew them or not.  I was thinking of my immediate family who have served.  My maternal grandfather served in the Navy while my grandmother became a "Rosie Riveter" helping the cause at home. I am thankful for all Veterans past and present.

No comments: