Lady Lynx Softball

Lady Lynx Softball
Kanab, Utah

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

FAMILY--Forever, For Always, No Matter What

It has been six years today that we received the dreaded words: Dad has been in a plane wreck. Time seemed to freeze that fateful night as the shocking news hit our family. Since Dad's passing, we each have had to learn how to move on. We have all endured many things in our individual lives and families. More deaths, floods, moves, new jobs, new locations, mom's near death experiences, injuries, and love life; a few divorces, weight losses/gains, etc. Inspite of it all, we've also been blessed in countless ways. However, THE most important thing is that we have all grown closer through it all. I love my family! I love them more now than I thought I ever could. Now that we don't get to see each other as often, our time spent together is that much more memorable and important to me. This was the last family photo taken October 2002 to celebrate Grandma Leona's 85th birthday. I can't imagine Heaven without any one of them! This photo was taken on Dad's last day flying with SkyWest prior to retirement. He absolutely loved his job! He loved talking about his adventures, meeting new people, sharing his jokes and stories to all that he knew. Dad always had a passion for teaching others about aviation. The last time I saw Dad was on a Thursday afternoon when he and Kent flew out to Panaca Airport to give an Aviation presentation to Whitney's middle school classes. I was so proud to introduce them, to watch them, to hear their wisdom as they spoke to the kids. Kent and Dad were like two kids talking about their experiences and flight training. (They told the kids they had known Orville & Wilbur Wright!) I stayed at the airport until they took off. Dad circled around the area as he had always done and tilted the wings to wave goodby. His last goodby to me. As I watched the plane fly off into the clouds, I felt so happy to have him for a Dad, and grateful that he would take the time to come out and talk about his passion. Four days later he was killed in a plane accident doing that which he loved so much. He has left a legacy for all who knew him to live life to its fullest and to always treasure family time. I love you Dad!

1 comment:

The Perkins Gang said...

Jo, I was so surprised when I saw this and realized it had been six years--I guess it was right before we were released from YW's, since I remembered reading the article at my doc appt. right before Bryson. I knew by then about your dad, but as I read the article I got my second shock--Nate Ballard had lived just down the street fromme in Alpine and I had gone to Sunday School and road the bus to school with him for quite a few years. I was so shocked to read that he was the student with your dad. What a sad time, and yet we still manage to make it through and time just keeps on ticking by. I know Grant says when of the hardest parts of not having his dad was while we were building our home and how much he would have loved to have had him there for that. Thanks for sharing. Your blog is great, your kitchen remodel AWESOME!