Lady Lynx Softball

Lady Lynx Softball
Kanab, Utah

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Definition of a Muumuu

I was asked, "What's a muumuu?" by an old friend. Of course he's male, so I suppose he really may not know. In case any of you are wondering here it is: according to Wikipedia: The muumuu or muʻumuʻu (English pronunciation: /ˈmuːmuː/) is a loose dress of Hawaiian origin that hangs from the shoulder. Like the Aloha shirt, muumuu exports are often brilliantly colored with floral patterns of generic Polynesian motifs. Muumuu for local Hawaiian residents are more subdued in tone. Muumuu are not as widely worn at work as the aloha shirt, but may be worn as a uniform by women working in the hotel industry. Muumuu are also popular as maternity gowns and with obese people because they do not restrict the waist.
I'll try to forget that last line of the definition..even if it it true. If you haven't tried a muumuu yet, you should. It's the only way to survive the humid months of July and August when the swamp cooler doesn't quite cut it. There are those who think they are only for the "older" or "larger" women, however, I've found them to be quite comfortable at any age, size, or stage of life! Caution: They are, however, meant for females only!

3 comments:

Shoecrazy Sue said...

I say Aloha to no restrictions around the waist. Nothing wrong with a little breeze provided by the lovely mumu's either! Much better than shorts! Just don't wear it with curlers!!!

Schimbeck's said...

Dang it, so I can't get one for Kirby? I think he would enjoy it!

Jo-Mamma said...

I'm sure Kirby would enjoy it about as much as he enjoys pedicures! I worry about him, but he's all yours...FOR-EV-ER!!